While the holiday season is about family, food and gifts, it should also be a time when we focus on giving back to those in need. It is important to give back throughout the year, but the holiday season is a time when others need our help the most. Between Thanksgiving food baskets for military families, coats for the homeless or toys for kids during Christmas, there are numerous ways we can be a blessing to others.
Earlier this week I Googled something related to Thanksgiving and came across an article titled “Ten Ways to Give Back on Thanksgiving” on Divine Caroline. While the list focuses specifically on Thanksgiving, the ten ways to give back can be done throughout the entire holiday season. Majority of the activities can be done throughout the year:
- Donate to a nonprofit that helps the hungry
- Donate a Thanksgiving(or Christmas) food basket
- Hold a food drive (donate items to a shelter)
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen
- Send a phone call or care package to a soldier
- Hold a Thanksgiving (or Christmas) charity bake sale (donate proceeds to a nonprofit organization)
- Donate to a charity that helps the homeless
- Deliver dinners to housebound people
- Visit hospital patients
- Take part in a charity Turkey Trot or 5K
What are you favorite ways to give back during the holiday season?
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends!! Safe travels to those going out of town!!