So I went to Pittsburgh this past weekend for homecoming and had a GREAT time with my PITT family! We always have a good time when we get together. That weekend, I saw so many people I went to school with 6 years ago! (Time does go by fast). One thing I did notice that seems to be a trend is everyone getting weave. Now believe me, I understand; we all want to add some length. I’ve been known to rock the ponytail myself. BUT, if you are going to rock the weave, ladies ladies ladies, we must pay more attention to what the final product looks like. IT MUST BE ON POINT!! The purpose of the weave is to look natural, but I think people have forgotten that.
If you are going to rock the weave, here are some things to think about:
1. The weave color should look natural– There is now reason your weave is orange, red, blond if your natural hair color is dark brown. Come on! And if you decide to get a partial weave, the weave color and your natural hair color should match. A weave should look natural.
2. Your weave should move when your head moves – We are too old to use synthetic hair. If you are going to take the time to get a weave, take the time to invest in one that looks good and natural which means human hair please!
3. Your weave shouldn’t start 6 inches from your hair line – Do I really need to explain this one?
4. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome, please let the stylist know – I saw some weaves this weekend that looked frizzy, puffy and not well maintained. Before you walk out of the salon, make sure it looks the way YOU want it to look b/c you are the one that has to wear it.
5. Invest in keeping it maintained - Now that you have committed to wearing a weave, you must maintain it! This means washing it frequently and having it tightened if you have a sewn in. Talk to your stylist about best practices.
So the next time you decide to get a weave, keep these things in mind. A weave is an investment and if you want to wear one, you should make that investment!